Travel Alerts

Resolving Criminal Inadmissibility to Canada: For Crimes Committed in the United States or Abroad

In our healing journey, some of us may have experienced difficulties with legal processes. There are a couple of options for those who may have challenges or be worried about crossing the Canadian border to the 2018 ACA World Convention in Toronto.

1. Calling Canadian Border Services for a Pre-Clearance

They are recommending you call 1-800-461-9999, choose option “0” (if overseas please use appropriate dialing codes) and discuss your specific situation with them as the decision to cross the border is done by a case by case procedure. They may approve and update their computer system for you to easily cross over with the proper identification papers. You can also check with the Local Canada Customs Agency in your country as appropriate.

2. Temporary Resident Permits

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit, or TRP, is the best way to be granted entry to Canada for a particular trip or a series of related trips. This is how American athletes get into the country despite DUI’s or other offenses. About 10,000 TRP’s are granted every year and many are to people with less than stellar pasts. A TRP is an application that requests entry to Canada for a specific time -period despite a criminal conviction. A TRP only grants entry to Canada for a fixed time- period – although you can enter and leave Canada multiple times within that timeframe. A TRP is only valid for one year from the date of issuance.

More information is available:

Resolving Criminal Inadmissibility to Canada